Devops – IT Operations Engineer (K05856)
12/12/2022 - 31/12/2022
Brussels, BelgiumSign in to apply
IT OPERATIONS ENGINEER
Sciensano is a new Health Federal Research Centre created through the merging of the Scientific Institute of Public Health (WIV-ISP) and the Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Center (CODA-CERVA). The two institutes have joined forces to better understand the health of humans and animals. Sciensano supports health policy through innovative scientific research, analysis, monitoring and expert advice.
More than 800 employees participate in more than 100 scientific projects funded by Belgian and international authorities, partners and clients. In this way we contribute to a healthier life for all.
For more information on our projects and activities: https://www.sciensano.be.
You join the Healthdata.be service that parts of the one Scientific Direction of Sciensano (Expertise, Service Provision and Customer Relation). The service provides technical expertise for the development and management of data flows for supporting scientific research in Belgium.
For more information about Healthdata.be: https://healthdata.be.
The position of Devops – IT operations Engineer will be responsible for engineering and supporting other teams with their infrastructure. You will deliver the server infra (bare metal), and software needed for other teams.
You are responsible for maintaining, updating, patching the servers and the core software that is installed on the servers. Next to deliver the servers, you will be responsible to keep an eye on all the servers/production containers within healthdata.be.
You are willing to optimize the way of working by introducing new software for management of config passwords, using HashiCorp vaults, improving users and application security.
This role is for an experienced hands-on engineer that is a subject matter expert (SME) with 3 years plus of professional experience in a mid to large-size enterprise.
• Identifies operational problems by observing and studying the functioning and performance of systems;
• Provides operational management information by collecting, analysing, and summarising operating and engineering trends;
• Identifies priorities by assessing operational objectives like cost savings, energy conservation, and environmental quality;
• Investigates complaints and suggestions by interviewing process supervisors and operators;
• Develops operational solutions by defining, studying, estimating, and testing alternative approaches;
• Anticipates operational problems by monitoring the environments.
• Bachelor’s or Graduate’s Degree in information technology, engineering, computer science or computer engineering, or associates degree and equivalent experience;
• Experience with Linux, Python, Autosys, and UNIX software and systems;
• Experience with cloud software and systems;
• Demonstrated strength in computing and problem solving and sound attention to detail;
• Strives for continuous improvement;
• A leader with a focus on incident response;
• Familiar with frameworks and command-line processes;
• Comfortable interfacing with other team members and clients.
• Takes responsibility to setup and maintain the servers;
• Pro-active monitor servers and kubernetes cluster;
• Automate the software (Docker, Kubernetes, Java, NodeJS, Tomcat, … ) installation/upgrading/configuration on Linux (Ansible & Ansible AWX) (Nice to have with Windows);
• Security first (Update packages when needed);
• Good understanding how to integrate LDAP on our servers;
• Familiar with HashiCorp vault setup, maintain and use it on production servers (SSL Certificate, integration with Ansible);
• Resource manager of each server, know the needs of the servers and decide to downscale/upscale the server;
• Good understanding of Disaster Recovery and High Availability. Help Other teams with their needs;
• Good communication to other teams;
• Able to create quality documentation;
• Able to see improvements in way of working, tooling, …
• Docker, docker-compose, kubernetes operations;
• Monitoring (CheckMk, Icinga2, Nagios, Zabbix);
• Scripting (Bash, Python, Go);
• Hashicorp Vault
Nice to Haves
• Self-hosted password manager.
· You have the opportunity to work regionally, close to home;
· We offer the possibility to work remotely three days per week;
· Attractive working conditions and nice colleagues;
· A challenging function with a lot of responsibility, room for initiative & creativity ;
· You will work in a scientific environment where everyone encourages each other to develop and grow.
General terms and conditions for hiring new consultants at Healthdata.be
· Candidate must be able to start within 30 days, at the latest, of the day on which the recruitment is confirmed by Healthdata.be;
· Candidate must be resident of a European Economic Area country;
· Candidate must be able to be present at office (Brussels) for a minimum of 2 days a week;
· Candidate must own a personal laptop in order to work via a virtual desktop application;